ABOUT THE POSITION:
STC Chicago seeks a dynamic educator with a passion for real-world learning to join the team as Manager of School Programs. This individual will work closely with STC Chicago’s Executive Director to design and execute key programs for its local network of K-12 schools, including the STEM Maker Fellows Program and Professional Learning Groups, and to coordinate events for students, schools, and supporters in the STC Chicago community.
In particular, the programs for which the Program Manager will be responsible include:
- STC STEM Maker Fellows Program: Run in partnership with MakerState, an organization that runs afterschool STEM makerspaces, the STC STEM Maker Fellows program trains and supports full-time STC teachers in facilitating STEM-rich makerspaces in their schools. The Manager will coordinate with MakerState to plan and facilitate professional development and will coach and support teachers in the program as they lead sessions at their schools
- Professional Learning Groups (PLGs): PLGs work with cohorts of educators who are committed to creating change in their classrooms and schools. STC currently runs 2 PLGs focused on culturally-relevant real-world learning and deeper learning for school leaders, as well as a working group for middle schools supporting students’ transition to high school.
Additionally, the Program Manager will work in tandem with the Executive Director to build relationships with and support our network of K-12 district, charter, and independent schools, and to plan for community events that both support real-world learning across the education to employment pathway, as well as fundraising efforts for the organization.
This is an ideal opportunity for a leader with exceptional project management skills and a strong passion for advancing innovation in urban education, specifically in Chicago. They must be detail oriented, extremely responsive, highly motivated, and knowledgeable about the Chicago education landscape, and able to work both independently and with a wide range of stakeholders/individuals. Familiarity with STEM and maker education innovations is also preferred.
STC Chicago’s Manager of School Programs will report to STC Chicago’s Executive Director and will be a member of the STC Chicago team. Major responsibilities include:
Program Design and Implementation
- Manage all aspects of the STC STEM Maker Fellows program, including:
- Collaborate with MakerState to refine scope and sequence of STEM curriculum for programming in schools
- Design and facilitate 2-4 trainings per year to support teachers in learning the curriculum and planning for programming in their school
- Communicate regularly with teachers, including sharing resources and opportunities
- Visit schools semi-regularly to visit makerspaces and coach teachers
- Manage data collection processes to measure program impact
- Coordinate Professional Learning Groups for educators across Chicago to support culturally relevant real world learning and a cohesive education to employment pathway for students, including:
- Plan for and facilitate monthly meetings, including in-person and virtual convenings
- Support participating schools with additional calls, visits, and relevant resources, as necessary
- Assist Executive Director in planning and executing all community wide programming, including:
- Design Day Challenges that engage middle school students in a design process to solve real world problems facing their communities.
- Bridging the Education to Employment (e2e) Gap Programs that support career awareness and exploration for high school students and connect them to local professionals
- High School Exploration Event for over 500 students to meet with representatives from high schools and educational organizations throughout Chicago
- Support the Executive Director with fundraising efforts, including:
- Supporting data collection for grant reports
- Communicating with current and potential funders about program outcomes and needs
- Supporting planning and coordination of local cultivation and fundraising events
- Be an active member of the STC Chicago team, including supporting the Executive Director with other STC Chicago events or initiatives as needed
- Participate in STC staff meetings and be available to support national initiatives as appropriate
- Be responsive to all communication, including submitting finance reports or other necessary documents by stated deadlines
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum of three years of professional experience working in the nonprofit and/or education sector; urban education and STEM experience strongly preferred
- Passion for ensuring that all children – particularly traditionally underrepresented students – access high quality educational options
- Stellar communication and interpersonal skills; very responsive to emails, calls, and other forms of communication
- Excellent at completing timely follow-up from meetings and discussions (ex: sending out meeting minutes, keeping shared folders updated, etc.)
- Proven history of effectively building relationships with diverse stakeholders
- Experience successfully managing multiple projects to meet goals and priorities
- Focus on outcomes with a drive to go above and beyond to push projects forward
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit; able to create structure out of ambiguity and solve problems on own initiative
- Ability to work well both independently and with a team; skilled in identifying and leveraging others’ skills to realize goals
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment; adaptive, optimistic, diplomatic
- Embodies STC’s core values: collaboration, diversity & inclusiveness, results-orientation, responsiveness, and continuous improvement
- Proficiency in common technical tools (Microsoft Office, Google Docs, Dropbox) required; proficiency in specialized digital tools (SalesForce, social media) preferred
To apply, consolidate your resume and cover letter into one PDF and save as “LastName.FirstName.Chicago”; send to [email protected] with subject “Manager of School Programs Application.”
STC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sex, affectional or sexual orientation.