Our upcoming events and initiatives are designed to help you become more empowered educational leaders, ultimately empowering your students – our most important stakeholders. You are Schools That Can. We’re here to serve you. You drive our programming. You make our network strong. We NEED your voices in order to grow our community, and quality education across NYC.
STC NYC SCHOOL SPOTLIGHTS
From November through January, STC collaborated with 3 of its high-performing elementary schools to present a Study Tour Series on Critical Thinking in Elementary Schools. Hellenic Classical Charter School, The Active Learning Elementary School (TALES- PS244Q), and The Bronx Charter School for Better Learning, all showcased their effective practices in promoting critical thinking among students. Hellenic presented their work on Paideia Socratic Seminars, PS244 showcased their implementation of Thinking Maps, and Bronx Better Learning highlighted the Gattegno method of Mathematics education. All practices span across grades and content levels, and are credited for the schools’ high levels of student achievement. The lively tours also included valuable time spent with students, including a student panel at Hellenic, in-class conversations at TALES, and students teaching a hands-on workshop at Bronx Better Learning! Check out resources from the tours here.
STC Maker Fellows’ school-based maker spaces are in full effect! Working with students in grades 2-6, educators from VOICE, St. Mark the Evangelist, Hellenic, and Bronx Community Charter are meeting with one another and students weekly to develop student understanding of the design process, vocabulary relating to circuitry, and soft skills including perseverance, communication, and collaboration in a hands-on way. All Fellows are currently in the planning stages of school-based “pop-ups,” where students will showcase their work in their school communities. Stay tuned for more info as the fellowship unfolds!
- Nontraditional but Increasingly Common Barriers to Higher Education (Huffington Post)
- A parent from Cornelia Connelly Middle School is Going Back to College and Teaching her Daughters the Value of Education (NY Times)
- Interested in who the up-and-coming educational innovators are? Check out “Forbes 30 Under 30 in Education” (Forbes)
- Here are “4 Education Technology Trends to Watch” (InformationWeek)
- See how the government of Finland promotes equal opportunity at birth in “Why Finnish Babies Sleep in Cardboard Boxes” (BBC)
STC NYC TOOLBOX
- Real-world Learning (Field Trips): NYC’s Municipal ID Gives New Yorkers Free Access to 33 Museums in 2015 (NY Metro Parents)
- Data-Driven Culture: Measure of America provides a range of charts, maps, and data on the US that and might serve as a great data resource for classroom lessons and projects (Measure of America)
- Real-World Learning (STEM): 7 Ed Tech Startups Revolutionizing STEM Education- shout out to STC friend, Mosa Mack, for making the list! (Huffington Post)
- Quality Instruction: Adding Eyes: The Rise, Rewards, and Risks of Multi-Rater Teacher Observation Systems (Carnegie Foundation)
- Rigorous & Relevant Curricula (Math): From Student to Teacher: The Rise of Singapore Education (Huffington Post)
- Management and Operations: 12 Ways to Connect with Major Donors for K-12 (Inside Philanthropy)